Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ryan's recall

It's missing. As in, his recall seems to have fallen out of his teenage brain and I didn't even know it until this afternoon.

We went for a walk in a nice forest-y park and as we were walking (well, I was walking and they were racing back and forth at top speed) I realized that I never really call Ryan. I practice having him drive towards me for toys (after a release word) and he is never out of my sight on walks. If I have to snap on his leash I usually ask him to "wait", and he does. If I see him about to take off after something (bird, squirrel, etc.), I tell him to "lie down". But "come"? Haven't practice that one in at least a couple of months.

So I tried it out - and got no response at all. He actually just stood 6 feet in front of me and stared at me. I ran backwards and he came to me...but we are obviously going to have to practice a recall again. How embarrassing to have a dog that will lie down on command wayyy out on the field but doesn't have a recall!

No comments: