Thursday, November 09, 2006

The Fear List

I've become obsessed with finding online information to help me with Abby. I'm not sure why I didn't look online sooner, but it's a good thing I didn't. I think I've spent more time online looking for information this past week than actually working with Abby. Pretty counterproductive. This is awful! I'm supposed to be studying, but instead I can't stop checking message board after message board. I joined a few yahoo groups too - AgBeh (Aggressive Behaviours) and Shy-K9s. I just read an article in the Shy-k9s archive, and it's nothing too new or different, but I'm going to take their suggestion to write down all of the things that Abby is afraid of and the fear reactions that she displays. So here goes:

Things that she is afraid of:
-men/strangers
-people in uniform
-children
-joggers
-skateboards/shopping carts/scooters
-cats
-being leaned over
-being stared at
-being "thumped" on her ribcage
-dogs that are bigger than her
-firecrackers
-more than one dog sniffing her at once

Reactions:
-crouching
-avoiding
-taking treats with a hard mouth
-not taking treats
-raising hackles
-lunging
-snarling
-snapping
-growling
-hiding
-freezing
-screaming
-panting
-licking lips
-breathing quickly

Phew. That's a lot of things to worry about in life - for both of us. Even when I'm walking without her and a skateboard goes by, I tense up and my heart starts racing. Next thing you know I'm going to jump on a skateboarder while snarling...

Here's a typical freaked out look:

No comments: