Friday, March 05, 2010

Weave what?

Note to self: Need to take a step back and work on Ryan's weaves again. Last night in class he lost his mind somewhere around an offside weave and could not figure them out again. He was popping out at the 2nd to last pole, then missing the entry, then skipping ever other pole, then running alongside them brushing the poles with his cheek. I would try and settle him down for a second before sending him in but I could tell he wasn't thinking *at all*. He's not much of a thinker when excited, that Ryan dog. So my plan is to go back to 6 poles for a bit and work "around the clock" again with a jump. His weaves are better when he's going independently than when I'm running with him (especially on the off side) so I will have to work on that.

The good part is that although I was joking about wanting to strangle him, I actually felt very little frustration at his sudden lack of weaves. That surprised me - I expected to feel frustrated! Maybe it was because he kept trying and trying and I know that it had nothing to do with him not listening; he genuinely didn't know what was expected of him and that is all lack of training on my part.

Another new development last night was Ryan starting to anticipate the release from his 2o2o. He left the teeter twice before I released him so I worked on running past, going back and rewarding and then releasing him while in motion.

1 comment:

Erika said...

At least he isn't convinced that there are cookies ALL OVER the barn floor like a certain black lab I know...
E