Sunday, February 21, 2010

Skunked.

Saturday night I got home just before midnight to go to sleep since I had to get up early the next morning for an agility trial. I stuck the dogs in the yard while I was getting ready for bed and when I went to get them 5 minutes later I only saw Ryan waiting by the door....and then saw Abby on the *other* side of the fence. As soon as I opened the door the wave of skunk spray hit me. I went to open the gate to let Abby back into the yard...and the entire front of her body was wet from being sprayed. I have no idea what happened but I assume she saw the skunk by the car, went through a hole or jumped over the fence to chase and got sprayed out there.

Why is Ryan so good and Abby so very bad??

There are no pharmacies around here that are open all night and I had no hydrogen peroxide to mix up the magical de-skunking solution. I used what I had...vinegar, baking soda and dish soap, to try and break up the skunk oil. It barely did anything. Abby smelled so bad that she had to stay out in my car (in a crate...which now stinks) during the trial the next day since everyone was complaining. When we got home from the trial I gave her a bath with the hydrogen peroxide solution and I think she smells a bit better...but still pretty bad.

Ugh.

In other, much better news - Ryan was a superstar at the trial! He did 2 standard runs and a gamblers run (all starters still) and got first place with Qs in all three. He was awesome! Did his 12 weaves perfectly, didn't knock any bars (I have him in 22" specials now since I think 26" is just too high...why make him jump that high?), stuck every single contact until I released him. What a good GOOD boy. This was only his 3rd trial ever and he kept his head the whole time and never even broke a start line stay.

I also need to brag about Erika's Tyler - he got his last advanced standard Q and moved into masters...and then got a masters standard Q the next day!! It was a very challenging run but Tyler did it!

Abby...well..I was so distracted by the whole skunk cloud surrounding her that I messed up both of our standard runs. Oops!

I have a ton of pictures from the last few weeks that I finally got off my camera..just have to go through them still.

1 comment:

Erika said...

Ryan was a STAR this weekend - a 100% Q rate! I am quite worried about what will happen when he reaches Masters and is in our class...
Maybe he needs to go back up to 26"? Just kidding, he really looks good jumping 22".
Erika