Saturday, February 03, 2007

Learning with a long line

I hope I don't have to take all this back tomorrow, but the long line worked wonderfully on the field this morning. We've actually had a very good week as far as training goes. Last night on our walk two little dogs on the opposite side of the street were staring at Abby as they came towards us, and when they got close, they went nuts barking and lunging. I asked Abby to focus, which she did perfectly, even though her ears were completely back and twitching in the direction of the little dogs. At the field this morning there were two dogs playing medium intensity games of fetch, so it was a perfect opportunity for training. Abby tried to take off after them 2 times, and both times I stepped on the long line a split second after I said "no, leave it" - so great timing. The third time, Abby stopped her break for the other dogs as soon as I said "no". So there is hope after all!

As I write this Abby is dragging (literally, by the scruff) Mia around my bedroom floor, and Mia appears to (miraculously) be loving every minute of it. They are so cute - Mia tries to copy everything Abby does. Abby lies down, Mia lies down. Abby shakes, Mia shakes. Abby grabs Mia's neck, Mia grabs Abby's cheek...errr that one doesn't go so well. It's neat to see how their play changes though as they get more comfortable with each other. Abby lets herself get rolled a lot more, and there is a lot more nice side by side wrestling.
Ok just as I wrote that I looked over and Abby was about to hump Mia...and then Mia ran into the side of the crate by accident. As long as they're both having fun!

Right now for training Abby and I are working on: perfecting 'by me' (walk away), learning to ride a skateboard (she'll push it around the room right now) and attempting to teach jump into my arms (good for after an agility run).

Cuddly sisters

No comments: