Sunday, February 11, 2007

Hard decision

I made the decision that Joey is not my perfect dog. I think if I didn't already have Abby he'd be great, but as my super confident never-met-a-stranger dog he isn't exactly right. He sounds quite a bit like a male version of Abby - very handler focused, driven, 'biddable', trainable - but without the bitchiness. He sounds like he is fine with strangers when handled correctly, but he isn't the type of dog who actually derives enjoyment from attention from everyone. I want a dog that I can bring anywhere without worrying about how he'll react and who will run straight up to people who come over without a second thought. That is the dog that will boost Abby's confidence, and that would make me happy. Joey also has to be reminded not to protect his owner, which sounds very much like Abby. I already have my 30 lb mini guard dog, so I think I'll be fine without another (or without one at all, but Abby seems to think otherwise). So, as hard as it was, and as much as it feels like I just broke up with Joey, I told his foster mom that he wasn't the perfect dog for me. I feel so bad for Joey, but as was pointed out to me - there are millions of dogs that need homes and I can only adopt one, so I should adopt the one that is the best fit. I really do hope that Joey gets adopted soon.

No comments: