Monday, January 15, 2007

I want another dog.

I want a second dog, and I've decided that in May I'm going to get one. I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I think it would really benefit both me and Abby.

For Abby, the reasons are pretty obvious. She loves playing with other dogs - she would choose playing with a dog (one that she knows) over playing with a person any day. I have to try really hard to be as fun and exciting as another dog. Also, dogs that are outgoing with people really help Abby with her fear of people. When Tryp was here, he'd go running up to any stranger who came into our house as though he'd known them his whole life. It was great for Abby - pretty soon she was running up to everyone too because she didn't want to get left out with all the attention. When she didn't feel like going to say hi, she was more relaxed about it since the focus and attention wasn't all on her. The people could concentrate on Tryp while Abby could concentrate on checking out the people, unnoticed.

A second dog would help me deal with Abby in the ways I just mentioned, as well as helping me with my need to have a friendly, outgoing dog. It is really hard for me to have to tell everyone not to touch Abby - I loved having a happy to meet everyone dog. It really made me feel good that Sam was so great with strangers. There are tons of other things that I love about Abby, obviously - it's hard to find a more velcro or responsive dog. Social butterfly, however, she is not. Having a second dog who was a happy go lucky social guy would be perfect - I'd appreciate Abby more for being so easy to train (some kinds of training...) and for being my little shadow, and I wouldn't feel like I have to make her into the all around 'best dog ever'. I mean, I know that her issues just have to be managed, and aren't ever going to disappear. Having a second dog that kind of fills the gaps that Abby leaves would help.

I'm not sure if I got that out right. I just have this very distinct feeling that getting another dog would really improve everything with Abby.

This imaginary second dog would have to be pretty near perfect, though, so I'm willing to wait to find him. I want a medium sized male (easier with Abby, and in general I've found that males are more laid back and cuddly) around Abby's size. He would have to be fine with cats (because of Peppy and Darla), great with other dogs (but not overly enthusiasic about them - ie no barking on the leash) and outstanding with people of all ages. I don't want a dog that guards resources at all. He doesn't have to be brilliant (like, ahem, Abby), he can be a huge doofus, but he has to be super friendly. He can't be oversensitive to movement (like people running by) or to sounds (like busses, skateboards). He can't have separation anxiety, and he has to ride in the car well.
That sounds like a long list, but I have a very specific kind of dog in mind. Yes, a dog with issues can be trained, but I have a dog with almost every issue under the sun, and I need a break with my second dog. He has to be the kind of dog that you can bring anywhere, that you don't worry about constantly. I also can't have a dog with issues other than Abby's (she leaves few undiscovered) becuase I don't want to take any chances about her learning from a new dog.
I'm still undecided as to whether I would lean more towards a dog with a lot of focus and drive, like a Border Collie type, or whether I'd lean more towards a laid back Golden Retriever type. The BC type could keep up with Abby, and might be another agility dog. A GR type, on the other hand, might help Abby to relax a bit more, and might be a good therapy dog candidate - an activity that I can't try with Abby.
I think as long as I'm willing to wait for him, I'll find my perfect dog.

Oh and the last decision is whether I want a puppy. This dog is obviously going to be rescue, and if I got a puppy I'd want to choose one from a litter that was either born in the shelter or came to the shelter very shortly after birth. I'd want to meet the mom, and see that she wasn't overly shy. I'd love to have a puppy, since I've never had one, but this might not be the right time to raise a puppy since I have such specific needs in a dog. Maybe I should wait until I can have a dog who doesn't have to be Mr. Perfect, and instead go with an adult (>2) whose personality is more obvious.

It'll be four months before I'm even letting myself start looking for dogs. Four months...not long at all.

No comments: