Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Foster sister in 3 days!



Abby's new foster sister arrives on Friday! Well, technically Saturday since she arrives at 1:00am. I'm so excited!

My plan for the introduction is different than it was for Tryp. Things were so hectic when he arrived (lots of people, everyone so excited) that I didn't follow any kind of plan. I ended up carrying Abby into the living room from my room (I somehow thought that she would be less scared if I carried her in than if she ran into the living room and saw another dog there suddenly - not really sure where my mind was actually). She was pretty snarky with Tryp, but he was so mellow that he just took it and they were bouncing around together after a couple of seconds of Abby's supreme bitchiness.

Since Mia is younger and a female, I think I should let Abby meet her more gradually, and not let Abby be snarly when they first meet. The plan is to keep Abby in my room when Mia arrives and then take them on a walk together, keeping some distance. Then, I think it would be a good idea to separate them with a baby gate just to see what kind of interactions they have that way, and then hopefully remove the baby gate that same night. If this dog is anything like Abby was at 9 months, they'll have a great time together - all Abby wanted to do at that age was wrestle and play with almost every dog. She still does love to wrestle and play, but mostly with dogs she knows - so these two should get a kick out of each other.

No comments: