Thursday, November 12, 2009

Girls vs. Boys

I saw a couple of posts on other blogs about whether people prefer boy dogs or girl dogs. I've had 2 boys (Sam and Ryan) and 2 girls (Zoe and Abby) and there have definitely been some typical 'girl' characteristics and 'boy' characteristics. Keep in mind though that I had a northern breed boy and now a Border Collie boy, and a terrier girl and now a ...probably terrier girl again.

In general though boy dogs seem sweeter and more clingy. They are goofier. The girls are sharper and more "on" all the time. They aren't as cuddly. They are called 'bitches' for a reason and they seem much more likely to get pissed off at another dog in their space or not abiding by their personal rules. The girls seem to have a better grasp of levels of correction and warning towards other dogs who are annoying them versus the boys who take it and take it and then just lose it all together. I haven't found much of a difference
when it comes to learning new things except that the boys seem to keep throwing things out there while the girls really think it through. That might just be Abby and Ryan though :) Boys seem to be more forgiving during training where the girls let you know if you're confusing them.

I can't choose a favourite though. I'd always like one of each - they compliment each other so well! Ryan gives me cuddles and sweetness and Abby seems to know exactly what I'm thinking. I love the bitchy girl attitude...but then I also love the goofy boy attitude.








One thing is for sure - it's the girls that rule!

No comments: